Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Article- MY TRIBUTE TO VISHV KAVI RAVINDRA NATH TAGORE




When I woke up this morning I remembered that it was hundred fiftieth birthday of kavi guru Ravindra Nath Thakur. The opening lines of one of his poems flashed in my inward mind –                      

“ aaji hote shotoborsho pore
ke tumi poricho boshi amar kobita khani
koutuhol bhore
aaji hote shoto borsho pore!”

I translate – hundred years after from today/ who are you reading my poem/ with curiosity/ hundred years after from today! I took out Tagore’s “sanchayita (collection of poems) and saw that the title of the poem is 1400 saal (bangle calendar year) and that the poem was written in falgun 1302 (bangle year). Present English 2012 is 14019 in bangle calendar. I read the entire poem once again, 117 years after its composition and interestingly, even though I had read the poem dozen of time earlier, recited it on several occasions I was enchanted to recite it again and had felt the same intense feeling which was there when it was first recited by me. That speaks of the quality of writing of the vishw kavi.
            Undoubtedly, Tagore will stay for centuries reasons being – his understanding of human values man’s realization of inner self, man’s close affinity with Nature, and man’s connection with the Almighty God. What made my life changed is “GITANJALI”. Ravindra Sangeet shakes the singer as well as listener. Themes of songs as contained in Gitanjali and elsewhere have been brought out from an unassailable height, unveiling the mysteries of birth and death and man’s eternal quest for Truth. Likes of Valmiki Ved Vyas, Kalidas, Shakespeare and Tagore are born once in hundreds of years and make people tremble to think if they were human beings or God incarnate. Bemused with the versatile works of Shakespeare, people started researching weather Shakespeare was one single person or name of a group comprising many. The same question may be raised for Tagore centuries later.  
                        

2 comments:

  1. Its a mystery and i'm sure it will remain as one that how someone can describe every possible emotions of a human being in words.I know very very little of Kavi Guru's works but I strongly believe he is probably the legend of all legends. A lifetime is not enough . It would have been absolutely alright if he had written ' Aji hote sohosro borsho pore' instead of 'soto'.. I'm sure the ' koutuhol' will only increase among us. So proud that I can read him in his own language. Pranam Vishwa Kavi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To The Unknown person -- I endorse your valuable comment. I have been reading Tagore whole of my life but I can't say I have understood him or that I know about him. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete